Friday, April 10, 2009

Death...


For most of us, death is confined to television and the internet. The blood, the gore and the smell of death are safely imbedded in pixel.
Even then some of us can't see death on a screen without fearing it will punch a skeletal finger through to touch us. So we turn the channel, or surf away at first sight of the monster.
Some of us stare in fascination, trying to unlock death's code. And still others crave death in the dark places of their hearts...and we are all afraid.

"...those who through fear of death were all their lives subject to bondage."
Hebrews 2:15

Sometimes death brushes close by us, and we remember it for the rest of our lives.
I can't smell antiseptic without being pulled, resisting, back to the moment when I stared at my infant son's lifeless body in his hospital bassinet.
But death lost its grip on my child.
God said no...not yet.

And there are nights when I lie in my bed and look at the ceiling, remembering death whisper my name in the emergency room seven years ago. I lay on a gurney, staring up at the ceiling, dying from undiagnosed pancreatitis.
Death sat close to me.
Yes, Death sits. It sits because it waits.
It waits because its prey may be snatched from its hand at the last second.
Death left me with a terrible sigh.
God said no...not yet.

Death is an insect. It stings
Death is a reptile. It suffocates.
Death is hungry; yet never satisfied.

Some people say death is natural. I disagree.
I believe death is unnatural and should be eliminated.

"He will swallow up death forever."
Isaiah 25:8

Jesus hanging on the cross. His blood which anchored Him to this earth, pouring out upon it.
Satan watches carefully before releasing his pet to feast on the mightiest of all: God.
Death will finally be satisfied.
...or will it?

"Inasmuch then as the children have partaken of flesh and blood. he himself likewise shared the same, that through death He might destroy him who had the power of death, that is the devil,"
Hebrews 2:14

God on the cross.

"And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even death on the cross."
Philippians 2:8

Why would You do that, God?

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us."
Romans 5:8


You died for me?
Yes.
But death is...awful!
Not anymore. I have removed its sting.
Is there nothing I can do?
Nothing. IT IS FINISHED!



In the Year of Our Lord, 33
Good Friday

redink


No comments:

Post a Comment